Thursday, January 19, 2012

Golden Masters and Complete Disasters

It's time to roll out the red carpet, because award season is here. The Golden Globes just recently happened and I have some mixed reviews about the fashion on that fine day. Let's start out with some of the best, in my opinion, of the night.

The flawless Emma Stone will be the first on my best dressed list. She has become a hit on the movie screens and the fashion scene this year. At the Globes she wore a stunning maroon and red Lanvin gown. The hot hues in her dress complimented the red shade of her hair. (EMMA STONE IS FUCKING PERFECTION! - Dennis)

Next, we have Rooney Mara wearing Nina Ricci. I usually prefer when stars wear colors on the red carpet, however Mara pulls off this unique black gown beautifully. Her career is blowing up with her role as the title character in her film, Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. The style she has been portraying since she was made-over for the film, is edgy and unique (Lisbeth Salander would approve). View her spread in Vogue.


Another one of my favorites of the night was Shailene Woodley, clad in a gown designed by Marchesa. My only problem with this lovely look is that I wish she wore some more jewelery, but other than that, I say she looks fantastic.


Sofia Vergara, one of the hilarious stars of the hit comedy "Modern Family", wore a custom designed gown from Vera Wang. She looks stunning as the dress perfectly molds to her body. A+ girl!

Tilda Swinton looks absolutely fabulous wearing Haider Ackermann. The pastel color of her dress compliments her platinum hair exquisitely. Also, the shape of the dress really accentuates her tall and slim body.

Now for Sheena's favorite, Salma Hayek, wearing Gucci. At first I was indifferent about this look, but it has grown on me. I love the mixture of black and gold and how the gown fits this bombshell like a glove.


And, for the moment you've all been waiting for, here are a few of the celebrities who missed the mark.

Let's start with an obvious choice. Lea Michele wore a Marchesa gown that was transparent on top except for some silver beading. I understand that she's trying to look mature, and sometime illusion gowns are beautiful, but what was she thinking? I mean really, she usually dresses so well. She just looks horrible.


Now for Evan Rachel Wood in Gucci. The shape of her gown is beautiful, as are the colors. However, there is just so much going on at once. There are sequins, scales, and feathers. It looks like an alligator, disco ball, and raven all collided and formed one gown. I really want to like it and I know that most people did, but it just doesn't work for me.


I hate to put the next person on the disaster list, but Michelle Williams wearing Jason Wu. Honey, what were you thinking? You're usually so stylish and gorgeous. Why did you wear this awful long-sleeved, blue, leopard-print dress? And that headband. Just no. (Though she does partially redeem herself with her new GQ photospread - Dennis)

Next we have the queen of pop, Madonna (Pictured with Andrea Riseborough), wearing Reem Acra. A disastrous combination of colors and ruffles. Oh the ruffles, way too much material, girl (haha).



I normally like simple long sleeved gowns, but the Naheen dress on Julianna Margulies was not flattering. It's not that I don't like the dress, I just think it looks so bad on her.



Glee stars were not successful with their red carpet style. Let's take a look at Dianna Agron in a red J. Mendel gown. All I can say is that it looks like her dress was in a fight with a cheese grater. 


Hopefully these stars do better for the next red carpet event.

-Jordie


No comments:

Post a Comment